The market is held on the first Saturday of every month in the 400 year old market square in the centre of this ancient town. Starting with a few tentative trial markets in 2001, the market became a monthly fixture of the town in October 2002 and is still as popular as ever!
Axbridge provides an ideal setting for an outdoor canopy market and offers a great selection of about 25 stalls. The picturesque square has excellent hotels and cafes, King John’s Hunting Lodge Museum and can provide a base for exploring nearby Cheddar or the Mendip Hills. The market has been shortlisted for Taste of the West’s Best Farmer’s Market category two years in a row.
To find out whats happening in the Cheddar & Axbridge area visit the : Cheddar.nub.news
Location: in Axbridge Town Square, BS26 2AP
Dates for 2020:
|1st February||7th March|
|4th April||2nd May|
|6th June||4th July|
|1st August||5th September|
|3rd October||7th November|
|Christmas Market Sunday 20th December 10am – 1.30pm|
Dates for 2021:
|6th February||6th March|
|3rd April||1st May|
|5th June||3rd July|
|7th August||4th September|
|2nd October||6th November|
|Christmas Market Sunday 19th December 10am – 1.30pm|
Parking/transport: Axbridge Town Car Park on Old Church Road and a smaller car park on Moorland road are a short walk from the market. There is also on-street parking on Houlgate Way – please be considerate of driveways etc. Please do not try and park in the Market Square, there is almost never a space on market day. The 126 bus service to/from Wells and Weston-super-Mare stops in the Square.
- Barley Wood Kitchen Garden Organic Fruit and vegetables from a beautiful Victorian walled garden near Wrington.
- Bath Soft Cheese Park Farm in Kelston is home to an array of award-winning organic cheeses, including the famous Bath Soft Cheese and Wyfe of Bath Cheese.
- Beech Ridge Farm Free range poultry including chicken, duck, goose and turkey plus eggs
- Besley’s Fruit One of the few remaining Cheddar strawberry growers
- Ebdon Firewood Local suppliers of firewood
- Fussels Fine Foods Farm based single cold pressed extra virgin rapeseed oil and a range of rapeseed based products.
- Islebeck Plants Home grown perennial, annual, vegetable and herb plants
- Leafy Greens Micro Farm Nutricious micro veg
- Mere Fish Farm Fresh trout reared in spring water, also hot and cold smoked, roulades and terrines.
- Nutts Scotch Eggs Scotch eggs as you’ve never tasted them before!
- Orchard Farm Preserves Traditional preserves made from home grown fruit and vegetables
- Real Pork Saddleback/Large White cross pigs; home reared and produced pork
- Seafoods Award winning family run fishmongers
- Somerset Charcuterie Salami, chorizo and cured meats. Made using traditional artisan methods, Somerset ingredients and west country flavours.
- Somerset Cheese Company Award winning specialist cheese makers
- Stefano’s Food A taste of Italy using local ingredients,
- Taylors of Bruton Third generation family run artisan bakery.
- The Great Cake Company A delicious range of gluten free cakes and chocolates.
- The Humble Pie Co Award winning pie maker from the heart of Somerset
- Wesley Cottage Bees Local honey and honey products – direct from the beekeeper
- West Country Water Buffalo A lower fat tasty meat fed only on grass and silage. Chosen as the ‘Best Somerset Meat Producer’ in the 2010 Taste of Somerset awards.
- Wootton Organic Dairy Award winning sheep and cows cheese and yoghurts.
Plus a Fair Trade stall and a Community stall overseen by Axbridge Town Council