The market is held on the first Saturday of every month in the 400 year old market square in the centre of this ancient town. Starting with a few tentative trial markets in 2001, the market became a monthly fixture of the town in October 2002 and is still as popular as ever!
Axbridge provides an ideal setting for an outdoor canopy market and offers a great selection of about 25 stalls. The picturesque square has excellent hotels and cafes, King John’s Hunting Lodge Museum and can provide a base for exploring nearby Cheddar or the Mendip Hills. The market has been shortlisted for Taste of the West’s Best Farmer’s Market category two years in a row.
Location: in Axbridge Town Square, BS26 2AP
Dates for 2017:
|6th May||3rd June|
|1st July||5th August|
|2nd September||7th October|
|4th November 2017||2nd December 2017|
|Sunday 17th December 2017 10am-1.30pm|
Parking/transport: Axbridge Town Car Park on Old Church Road and a smaller car park on Moorland road are a short walk from the market. There is also on-street parking on Houlgate Way – please be considerate of driveways etc. Please do not try and park in the Market Square, there is almost never a space on market day. The 126 bus service to/from Wells and Weston-super-Mare stops in the Square.
- Beech Ridge Farm Free range poultry including chicken, duck, goose and turkey plus eggs
- Berrow Beef Family farm producing beef and lamb on the Somerset Levels.
- Besley’s Fruit One of the few remaining Cheddar strawberry growers
- Blackrock Kitchen Traditional french patisserie with a Somerset twist
- Bradley’s Juice Apple juices and other fruit drinks, from our own orchard.
- Ebdon Firewood Local suppliers of firewood
- Fussels Fine Foods Farm based single cold pressed extra virgin rapeseed oil and a range of rapeseed based products.
- G.M. Country Sports Game in season plus venison year round.
- Islebeck Plants Home grown perennial, annual, vegetable and herb plants
- Mere Fish Farm Fresh trout reared in spring water, also hot and cold smoked, roulades and terrines.
- Nutts For… Scotch eggs as you’ve never tasted them before!
- Portbridge Vegetables A wide range of homegrown vegetables all year round.
- Raindrop Flowers Florist and grower of seasonal cut flowers
- Real Pork Saddleback/Large White cross pigs; home reared and produced pork
- Seafoods Award winning family run fishmongers
- Somerset Charcuterie Salami, chorizo and cured meats. Made using traditional artisan methods, Somerset ingredients and west country flavours.
- Somerset Cheese Company Award winning specialist cheese makers
- Stefano’s Homemade Food A taste of Italy using local ingredients,
- Sugar and Spice Preserves Home grown, hand made, fresh produce … delicious preserves
- Taylors Traditional Bakers Third generation family run artisan bakery.
- The Great Cake Company A delicious range of gluten free cakes and chocolates.
- The Humble Pie Co Award winning pie maker from the heart of Somerset
- The Parsnipship We sell a wide range of homemade vegetarian savouries using local produce wherever possible.
- Wesley Cottage Bees Local honey and honey products – direct from the beekeeper
- West Country Water Buffalo A lower fat tasty meat fed only on grass and silage. Chosen as the ‘Best Somerset Meat Producer’ in the 2010 Taste of Somerset awards.
- Wootton Organic Dairy Award winning sheep and cows cheese and yoghurts.
Plus a Fair Trade stall and a Community stall overseen by Axbridge Town Council