A few years ago, there was concern about the future of vegetable growing in this area. Severe unpredictable weather increased the likelihood of crop failures and many local growers felt enough was enough.
But more recently there has been a ’horticultural renaissance‘ as new and existing vegetable growers have joined the markets with a wide range of fresh produce.
The most recent recruit is Radford Mill Farm who have joined the markets at Keynsham and Yeovil. They are also involved in hosting and training Soil Association apprentices who they hope will help to supply the workforce to guarantee the future of local fruit and vegetable growing. Their market garden enterprise focuses on about five acres of land including an orchard, soft fruit fields and six large polytunnels. This arrangement enables a wide variety of vegetables, fruits and salads to be produced year round including apple juice from their hand built and operated wooden press.
Vegetable growers trading at at Somerset Farmers’ Markets are currently:
- Portbridge Farm at Axbridge, Burnham, Wells and the Frome Independent.
- Moonacre Farm at Midsomer Norton and Frome Cheese & Grain
- Bower Hinton Farm at Crewkerne
- Bioaqua Farm at Glastonbury, Keynsham and the Frome Independent
- V P Collins at Frome Cheese & Grain
- Radford Mill Farm at Keynsham and Yeovil
- Six Brothers Organic starting in June at Glastonbury